This document has been signed and cannot be edited
When right-click on the area of a PDF in Adobe Pro DC, and try to edit it by selecting "Add Text", you most likely will be presented with this dreadful error message from Adobe Acrobat: "This document has been signed and can not be edited"
To solve this problem and edit a signed pdf, do as follows:
- Right-click the PDF document, and choose to open it with Google Chrome
- Print the file within Chrome as PDF
- Open the printed file on Adobe Pro DC, and edit it
Obviously, close the file first, then right-click on it and choose the option to Open With Google Chrome
Once you have the file open in Chrome, choose to print it as PDF, which by definition save the file as PDF. During the save process, the restriction on the file that causes the error message "This document has been signed and cannot be edited" will be removed, and you'll be able to edit the printed version of the document
Open the printed file on DC >> right-click on the area and choose "Add Text" >> type whatever you like to save the file; in my example I typed "Invoice not paid"
Unfortunately, on this occasion, the Adobe Forums did not help me out at all when I searched them for the error message "This document has been signed and cannot be edited": https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat/ct-p/ct-acrobat It was a relief when I discovered how easy it is to solve this issue, so I documented and decided to share it in here. Everything is easy once you know how to do it, ah? :)
24 July 2020
If you liked this hack of mine about how to solve the error message of "This document has been signed and cannot be edited", here there are others that may be of your interest!
- How to save Facebook messages to PDF in 5 steps! https://www.nazaudy.com/how-to-save-facebook-messages-to-pdf
- Configure PowerChute Personal Edition to send e-mails https://www.nazaudy.com/configure-powerchute-personal-edition-to-send-e-mails
- A certificate could not be found that can be used with this Extensible Authentication Protocol https://www.nazaudy.com/a-certificate-could-not-be-found-that-can-be-used-with-this-extensible-authentication-protocol